The medical profession is not just known for its best endeavours to help the people alleviate their distress and agony, but at the very same time, for the massive proportions that it has acquired as a rapidly growing industry. As more and more hospitals come up to provide health care to people from all walks of life and all regions, the size and scale of the hospitals also grows bigger, with all the specialisations coming under one roof. This saves people the trouble of actually searching for and going to a new clinic any time a different issue comes up.
But with this massive growth, the management of the hospital tasks becomes all the more difficult which makes it really important or in fact, mandatory to have a certified medical assistant support staff so that the administrative tasks of the hospital can go on smoothly along with the healing facilities. Without these assistants, the working of the health care facility is most likely to become chaotic.
Thus, these medical assistant programs act as the best working link between the patients and the doctors. They are normally employed under two different categories to handle the different types of services that are required in the operation of the hospitals.
1) ADMINISTRATIVE TASKS:-
These professionals normally handle the administrative aspects of the tasks and ensure that there are no time glitches and delays as far as the patient-doctor interaction is concerned.
• They answer whatever calls come in for a doctor, regarding appointments and otherwise.
• They schedule whatever appointments are registered according to the doctor’s timings.
• A certified medical assistant is also supposed to handle all insurance based tasks too, in addition to the medical appointments.
• They are also responsible for scheduling any laboratory tests and making sure the reports reach the doctors in an organised manner.
• Any kind of fees and billing requirements are also taken care of by the assistant.
• For patients who have to go for long term treatments and for whom, the previous medical record matters while deciding on the future course, these medical assistants help keep the files updated and maintained so that there is no difficulty when the patient comes in for consultation.
• They are also supposed to ensure that the patients are greeted warmly and their waiting time is precisely told to them so that they can plan their events accordingly.
2) CLINICAL TASKS:-
These are the professionals whose jobs are actually localised within the doctor’s office and they work in close co-ordination with them so that the tasks of the doctor can go on in the best way possible.
• They record the important symptoms after going through the medical histories of the patients.
• The medical assistant professionals take the blood samples for tests etc.
• They are also responsible for the preparation of any kind of X-Rays, electrocardiograms etc.
• The change in dressings etc. is also the job of these clinical professionals.
• This job also entails ensuring that all the medical supplies are available and no disruption is caused on their account.
• The after-care is also the responsibility of these professionals. These include explaining the medication frequency and doses, educating about any precautions, administering the necessary medications etc.
• The entire maintenance procedures also fall into this job profile e.g. keeping the office space clean, the instruments sterilised etc.
Thus, no matter what the job description-clinical or administrative, the support staff are extremely important as far as the working of the hospital is concerned. Without these assistants, the health care aspect would falter as the improper administration would lead to the patients getting harassed and more agonised.